Saturday, March 6, 2010

Inner Critic and Emotional Eating



Did you know research indicates the average person talks to himself/herself about 50,000 times a day? And that 80% of the time, that self talk is negative?

Everyone has an inner critic, a voice that speaks to you in such a powerful way that it can prevent you from achieving your full potential.  It questions you – ‘who do you think you are?’  It challenges you – ‘you should just give up cause you’re never gonna get it.’ And it belittles you – ‘you’re not smart enough to succeed.’

This inner critic is so controlling it affects your confidence, your willingness to act and even your physical health.  So one of the most important questions we can ask ourselves is ‘how do we tame our inner critic?’

The first step is to see it and acknowledge it for what it is.  The second is to understand that everyone struggles with this type of negative self-talk.  Ask yourself, where is my inner critic holding me back? Is what my inner critic saying really the truth? Where is it creating unnecessary obstacles for me - in my weight, in my business, in relationships? Be curious and be aware.

For many of us the inner critic activates emotions that cause us to overeat.  When that happens, it’s important to ask yourself ‘what is the emotion I’m really feeling?’   If you really have to eat, give yourself permission and then get over it.  Don’t beat yourself up. Recognizing which emotion (anger, anxiety or doubt for example) caused this behavior is a HUGE step toward taking action.  Formulate a success plan for the next time that emotion strikes. (And it will again!)

Here are a few things you can do to squash the inner critic:
  •            take a walk
  •      get out of the environment – go to a store or the par
  •      last, have a good laugh - watch a funnyYouTube video or watch a funny movie or ask a friend to tell you a good joke (Laughter is healing!)
Let go of the need to be perfect. The best we can expect is progress, not perfection.  When we understand this, we reclaim our focus and are able to pursue our dreams and work to obtain our goals with fearless, unabashed passion.

Is there a strategy you already use to silence your inner critic? If you do, share here.

5 comments:

  1. When I start being too critical of myself, I usually stop and reflect on what it is really bothering me. I prepare myself a cup of coffee (which I really enjoy) and take time for myself and my thoughts.
    I make a list of the many accomplishments i have had or the many things that people like about me.
    When I consider the good things I realize that I'm just in a journey and that there are things that I need to work on but I shouldn't let them put me down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the coffee idea. I also have to remember that I am in controll of my thoughts and I can up date the software. Some thoughts are more challenging to change but persistance pays off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the "inner critics" show up I am usually emotionally, spritually or physically exhausted. Therefore, I wait to deal with these thoughts until I have my energy back.
    Interesting this topic was addressed this week, because I could have gotten lost on the "inner critics." Instead, I just waited until I got my energy back today and those weren't around anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie & Erin join this blog...let's see if this works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to work on my inner critic. I like the suggestions to squash the inner critic. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete