Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Art of Asking

“Listening to your heart is not simple … It takes a lot of courage to get to know who you are and [ask for] what you want.”  Sue Bender

Many people are afraid to ask for help for fear of being judged or laughed at. Others just have no idea that asking is an option.
Whatever your belief, speaking the truth FROM YOUR HEART is a way of honoring your individuality. Don’t be afraid to ask for what you need.

Just be sure to do it correctly. There is an ART to ASKING for what you want. Be conscious and mindful before you begin. Think to yourself, “Is my request heart-based?”  Really examine it and make sure it is not contaminated with hidden anger, annoyance or impatience. 

Then acknowledge the person your asking in a kind way, and be prepared for whatever the answer is, yes or no. Realize that not everyone is walking the same path.

If you are asking another person to change a behavior, do not blame them for the current circumstances. Begin with something positive, then say “it would really help me if … “ or “I need your support with …” Some people are open to this, others are not.  This doesn’t mean you needs will not be met.


In fact, by simply looking into your heart and asking for help you are honoring your AUTHENTIC SELF.  By doing so you are giving yourself the POWER to take care of yourself. This is the magic of the journey of the heart.

This week take the time to be grateful for individuality. Honor WHO YOU REALLY are by listening to your heart, reaching out to others, asking for help when you need it and observing how this makes a difference in your everyday life.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy;

    Great post. Your comment, "not everyone is on the same path", really hit home with me. I am challenged by this when it relates to someone close to me. Thank you for your insights.

    Joy
    http://www.yourweightlosswarrior.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! Thank you so much, I will begin to practice this and I really think it will help me and others a great deal. I look forward to more of your thoughts.

    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  3. FABULOUS THOUGHTS AND WRITING!

    http://jeffemmersonmymemoir.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wonderful advise, Nancy. I am in the process of learning the "art to asking," and remembering to consult my heart.

    Joyce
    http://howtobewellnow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advisce! I often, though I must admit not always, consult my heart before asking for something. If I get an answer that it is in both our interests, I then ask my heart to allow me to speak my truth as clearly as possible without any attachment to outcome. Things just seem to work much better that way. Sandra D.

    http://woccoaching.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. “Is my request heart-based?”
    What an incredible question to ask before entering into any dialogue with another person...

    By nature, I am not good at asking others for help...therefore, in addition to me "honoring your AUTHENTIC SELF"... perhaps I will also look at asking others for help to be seen as a great compliment to someone when I am vulnerable enough to ASK them to help me...

    Lots of thoughts around this topic...

    Thank you for your insights!

    ReplyDelete